The Black Diamond Apple, also known as the "Eden's Black Diamond (Hei Zhen Zhu)" is a rare and highly coveted variety of apples known for its distinctive colouring and unique taste. Here's a brief history and some key characteristics of this fascinating fruit;
The Black Diamond Apple Tree was first discovered and cultivated in the mountains of Tibet. It is believed to have originated from a chance mutation of another apple variety. However, its exact lineage remains unknown. Over time, it made its way to various parts of the world, with exclusive orchards in countries like China, Iran, and the United States now cultivating it. Black diamond apple's unique taste arises from the combination of the apple's natural sugars, influenced by the challenging growing conditions, resulting in a delightful sweetness with nuanced berry-like undertones
1. Appearance: The most striking feature of the Black Diamond Apple is its deep, dark purple, almost black, skin. It has a glossy sheen that enhances its alluring appeal. This unique colouration is due to the high levels of anthocyanin pigments present in the fruit. These factors make Black Diamond apples a rare and intriguing fruit, flourishing in a specific geographical niche
2. Size and Shape: These apples are typically medium to large, similar to other apple varieties. They have a round or slightly oblate shape, with a smooth and firm texture.
3. Flavor: Black Diamond apple taste, have a sweet and slightly tart taste, which is well-balanced and refreshing. Their flavour profile is often described as having hints of berry and wine-like undertones.
4. Nutritional Value: Like other apple varieties, Black Diamond Apples offer various health benefits. They are rich in fibre, antioxidants, and essential vitamins like vitamin C. They are also low in calories and fat, making them a healthy snack option. Black diamond apples help in skin ageing.
5. Storage and Shelf Life: These apples have a good shelf life if stored properly. They can be refrigerated to prolong their freshness, lasting for several weeks without losing their quality.
6. Availability: Due to their rarity and limited cultivation, Black Diamond Apples are considered a luxury fruit. They are often found in high-end speciality stores, gourmet markets, or online platforms. Their scarcity and unique appeal make them a sought-after item among enthusiasts and collectors. Black diamond apples cost up to 50 yuan (7USD).
It's important to note that while the Black Diamond Apple is known for its striking appearance, its flavour and texture may vary depending on factors such as growing conditions and ripeness. So, if you ever get a chance to try one, savour the experience of this special and exquisite fruit and you can give us feedback in the comment section.